Samlesbury Hall 



















However, there is a great grandaughter of Sir John named Mary Southworth who married a young protestant cleric 9 the southworths were staunch catholics).  The Cleric lost his living and by 1633 Mary and her Son had died of starvation in the streets.  So I think if any of the Southworths were haunting there it would be Mary returning to a place of happier memories.

 

The Southworths as I said were stuanch Catholics and held secret masses in the Hall.  A Catholic Priest was beheaded there by a soldier of Henry V111.  The Priest is reputed to be the Brother of the Martyr Edward Campion who was also a visitor to the Hall.

 In 1581, Sir John Southworth, 
Knt, had been arrested and committed to prison in the New Fleet at
 
Manchester, one of the charges against him being that of har-
 
bouring at Samlesbury Hall the Jesuit Edmund Campion

http://www.archive.org/stream/historyofblackbu00abrauoft/historyofblackbu00abrauoft_djvu.txt


He also picked up the name Campion on the w board but no one commented on it!  The Southworths were famed for harbouring Jesuit Priest and as you will see from below (have also put the link) he was arrested for harbouring the Campion and it was John Campion who was killed in the house.

Marion



 

 

However, there is a great grandaughter of Sir John named Mary Southworth who married a young protestant cleric 9 the southworths were staunch catholics).  The Cleric lost his living and by 1633 Mary and her Son had died of starvation in the streets.  So I think if any of the Southworths were haunting there it would be Mary returning to a place of happier memories.

 

The Southworths as I said were stuanch Catholics and held secret masses in the Hall.  A Catholic PrieCHAPTER XVIL THE TOWNSHIP OF SAMLESBURY.


Topography Acreage Population Descent of the Manor De Samlesbury Family D'Evyas 
Southworth Family Braddyll Harrison Samlesbury Hall De Holand Family Lovel 
Earls of Derby as Lords- Walmesley and Petre Present Landowners Hoghton of Roacher 
Roacher Hall Walmesley of Lower Hall Fleetwood Hall Culcheth and Hubberstey, of 
Sowerbutts Green Church of St. Leonard St. Marie's Roman Catholic Church Samlesbury 
Schools Samlesbury Charities. 

SAMLESBURY is a large township in Lower Ribblesdale, occupy- 
ing a broad plain formed by a deep deposit of the boulder-clay ; 
abutting upon the Darwen river upon the south, and upon the Ribble 
bank on the north. The area of Samlesbury is 4270 statute acres. 
In common with other rural townships in Blackburn Parish, Samlesbury 
has suffered in recent years a steady decline in population. In 1801 
the inhabitants numbered 1646; iSn, 1589 ; 1821, 1979 ; 1831, 1948; 
1841, 1728; 1851, 1435; 1861, 1215 ; 1871, Sio. Thus, the popula- 
tion in 1871 was less than half t{ie numbers returned in 1821 and 1831. 
There is one cotton mill in Samlesbury on the Darwen bank. 

The succession of manorial lords of Samlesbury is presented here- 
under. 

DE SAMLESBURY FAMILY, ANCIENT LORDS. 

The earliest recorded lord of Samlesbury was Gospatric de Sam- 
lesbury, living in the second half of the i2th century ; who, about A.D. 
1190, built a chapel in his manor for the use of his family and tenantry. 
Gospatric de Samlesbury had issue, sons, Roger; Richard; Alan, whose 
wife was Anabel de Blakeburn ; and Uctred, a priest ; and a daughter, 
who was wife of Geoffrey, Dean of Whalley. His lands in Samlesbury 
are stated to have been 14 bovates, of which he gave eight bovates to 
Roger, his heir, and the remaining six were divided amongst his three 
younger sons, Richard, Uctred, and Alan. These bovates contained 20 
acres each, or a total of 280 customary acres in 14 bovates. This was 
all the cleared land in Samlesbury in the i3th century. 

Roger de Samlesbury, heir of Gospatric, married, before 1194, 
Margaret, daughter and heir of Walter, son of Oseber', and had issue, 
sons, William, Robert, Adam, James, and Roger. He died before 1246. 

42 



658 ' HISTORY OF BLACKBURN. 

William de Samlesbury, heir of Roger, was knighted. By his wife 
Avine he had no sons, but three daughters, co-heirs, Cicely ; Margery; 
and Elizabeth. Sir William de Samlesbury and his brothers were con- 
cerned in a suit in 1246, concerning their respective inheritances in the 
patrimonial estate. 

Cicely de Samlesbury married, before 1258, Sir John D'Evyas, 
who jure uxoris had half Samlesbury Manor. Margery de Samlesbury 
married Robert de Haunton, but had no recorded issue. Elizabeth de 
Samlesbury, the third sister and co-heir, married Sir Robert de Holand, 
and conveyed her moiety of this manor to the De Holands. In 1311, 
Lady Cecill de Evyhus and Lady Elizabeth de Holand were found to 
hold under Earl de Lascy one carucate in Samlesbury in thanage, paying 
i2s. yearly. 

D'EVYAS, LORDS OF SAMLESBURY. 

John D'Evyas, who married Cicely, eldest daughter of Sir William 
de Samlesbury, and thereby obtained the half of Samlesbury, was Knight 
of the Shire in 1295. He had a son and heir Nicholas ; and a daughter 
Elizabeth. 

Nicholas D'Evyas, who held, besides the moiety of this manor, half 
the hamlet of Brightmet, was living in 1335. He had issue a daughter, 
who became his sole heir, and marrying, before 1332, Gilbert de Sothe- 
worth, conveyed to him her estate in Samlesbury, &c. 

SOUTHWORTH OF SAMLESBURY. 

Gilbert de Sotheworth, lord of Sotheworth and Croft, Pa. Winwick, 
was father of Gilbert, who married the daughter and heiress of Nicholas 
D'Evyas, lord of Samlesbury. He had other sons, Richard, and Mat- 
thew, and was living in 1325. 

Sir Gilbert de Sotheworth, Knt., son of Gilbert, after his marriage 
abode at Samlesbury, and rebuilt the manor-house. Sir Gilbert was living 
in 1363. His son and heir was John Sotheworth. 

John Sotheworth, lord of Samlesbury, who was knighted, married 
Margaret, daughter of Sir Richard de Hoghton, Knt., and had a son and 
heir, Thomas, born about 1393. Sir John Sotheworth was with the 
English army at the siege of Harfleur, and died of the dysentery, 5th 
Oct. 1415. The Inq. post mart, (printed by Mr. Wm. Langton), shows 
that Sir John Sotheworth had settled in trust his manors of Sotheworth, 
Samesbury, and the Folyhall, with all the lands he possessed in Lanca- 
shire, Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, and Notts, by deed dated July 25th, 1400. 

Thomas Sotheworth, found son and heir of Sir John in 1416, 
and then aged 23 years, held these estates until his death, April 
2 yth, 1432. He married Johanna, daughter of Sir John de Booth of 



THE SOUTHWORTH FAMILY. 659 

Barton. On the Inq. post mort., taken at Ormskirk, Dec. 3ist, 1432, 
it was found that Thomas Sotheworth de Sammesbury held at his death 
jointly with Johanna his wife (who had survived him) estates in Croft 
and Ebury by the deed of feoffment of his father, John Sotheworth, 
Knt., dated at Barton, May 4th, 1409 ; also that he had held two parts 
of the moiety of his manor of Sammesbury by feoffment of Galfrid 
Banaster, vicar of the Parish Church of Blackburne, and William Bolton, 
chaplain, by charter to him for his life, dated at Sammesbury, Oct. 8th, 
1426, which the said Galfrid and William had of the feoffment of the 
said Thomas Sotheworth ; the Samlesbury estate being held of the King 
as of the Duchy of Lancaster in socage and by service, and worth yearly 
10 marks ; other estates in Middleton, Ebury, Houghton, Sotheworth, 
and Croft ; also he held of the King, as of the Duchy of Lancaster, two 
parts of certain lands in Meller, Overderwynd, and Alston in socage by 
service of 45. 6d. yearly, worth zoos., &c. His son and heir was Richard, 
then aged 12 years; and he had other sons, Gilbert Sotheworth, who 
fought at the Battle of Agincourt in 1415 ; and John Sotheworth ; and a 
daughter Elizabeth, wife of Richard son of Thurstan de Holand. 

Richard Sotheworth, Esq., succeeding his father in this lordship, 
married Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Molyneux, of Sefton, Knt., 
and had a son and heir, Christopher ; and daughters, Juliana, wife of 
Sir Richard Towneley of Towneley, Knt. ; Anne, wife of Sir Thomas 
Molyneux; Elizabeth, wife of Sir Thomas Screven, Knt; Margaret, wife 
of Richard Vernon ; and Emma, wife of Cholmley. Richard South- 
worth died Dec. 2ist, 1472. 

Christopher Southworth, next scion of this family, was knighted, 
says Dugdale, " on his expedition to Scotland," A.D. 1482. His wife 
was Isabel, daughter of Sir Thomas Dutton of Dutton, Knt. Issue, 
sons, John, the heir ; Christopher, and Edmund ; daughters, Anne, wife 
of SirAlexr. Osbaldeston, Knt; Margaret, wife of Sir William Hoghton, 
Knt.; and Johanna, wife of Ralph Langton, Esq. Sir Christopher Sothe- 
worth, died in 1487 ; and in the 6th Henry VII. the Inq. post mort. was 
taken, showing him to have held Samlesbury manor, as of the manor of 
Cliderhou, Southworth manor, and lands in several other townships in 
Lancashire. 

Sir John Southworth, Knt, son of Christopher, married Helen 
daughter of Sir Richard Langton, Knt., by whom he had sons, Thomas; 
Christopher (who had sons, John, died s.p. ; and Edward, merchant of 
London, who had sons, Henry, of Week, Co. Somerset ; and Thomas) ; 
Richard, who died s.p.; and James. In 1511, Sir John Southworth had 
a quarrel with John Paslew, Abbot of Whalley ; and he died in 1519; 
the escheat (nth Henry VIII.) attests that he had estates in Samles- 



66o HISTORY OF BLACKBURN. 

bury, Mellor, Osbaldeston, Over Derwynt, Plesyngton, and Lyvesey, in 
Blackburn Parish, and divers lands in other parts of the county. 

Thomas Southworth, his son and heir, also was knighted. It was 
this Sir Thomas who restored the north wing of Samlesbury Hall in 
1532, and built the other wing in 1545. He was sheriff of the county 
in 1541. At his Visitation of Lancashire in 1533, the herald enters : 
" Syr Thomas Sudworthe, Knyght, maryed Margery, dowghter to Thomas 
Butler of Bewse, father to Thomas Butler that now ys, & they have 
ishew, Elsabethe, Anne, Cysle, Katryn, and Dorothe. I spake not wt 
hym." This record names not Sir Thomas's son, who, however, is said 
to have been born sixteen years before this, in 1517. Of Sir Thomas's 
daughters, Elizabeth was wife of Robert Farington, Esq.; Anne, wife of 
Richard Barton of Barton Row, Esq.; Cicely, wife of John Culcheth, 
Esq.; Katherine, wife, first, of Thomas Clifton, Esq., secondly, of John 
Westby, Esq.; and Dorothy, wife of John Rishton of Dunkenhalgh, gent. 
Sir Thomas Southworth died in 1 546 ; and the Inq. post mort, was taken 
3 8th Henry VIII. 

Sir John Southworth, Knt., succeeded Sir Thomas, his father. He 
was in some respects the most noteworthy scion of this important family. 
Living in the age of ecclesiastical revolution completed in the reign of 
Elizabeth, Sir John Southworth adhered to the Roman Church through 
much civil penalty. In a former chapter (pp. 77-82) I have narrated 
fully the several prosecutions for "recusancy" Sir John Southworth 
underwent between the years 1568 and 1592. He was High Sheriff of 
the county in 1562. He married, July 23rd, 1547, Mary, daughter of 
Sir Richard Assheton of Middleton, and had issue, sons, Thomas; John ; 
Richard ; Michael ; Christopher; Gilbert; and Leonard ; and daughters, 
Anne, wife of Robert Singleton, gent.; Jane, married Stanley; Mary, 
wife of George Talbot ; and Margaret, wife of Bartholomew Hesketh, 
gent. During Sir John Southworth's incarceration, his affairs became 
involved; and in 1588, he suffered a Recovery of his estates for the dis- 
charge of his debts. He died Nov. 3rd, 1595. His Will (a lengthy 
document, printed in the History of Samlesbury Hall), is dated Sept. 
1 7th, 1595. Testator names as his executors, Jane Stanley, widow, 
Barthol. Hesketh and Margaret his wife ; and Robert Singleton and Anne 
his wife, the said Jane, Margaret, and Anne being testator's daughters ; 
and devises to them all his manors of Samlesbury, Mellor, Southworth, 
Croft, Myddleton, Houghton, and Arbery, with messuages, lands, &c., 
in those places and elsewhere in Lancashire, to hold for seven years, for 
the payment of testator's debts ; the estates then to pass to Thomas 
Southworth, son and heir ; remainder to John Southworth, son and heir 
of the said Thomas ; with contingent remainders, c.; names sons, 



THE SOUTHWORTH FAMILY. 



66l 



Thomas, William, Richard, Michael, Christopher, and Edward ; also 
Bridget, Margery, Ellen, and Anne, daughters of testator's son Thomas ; 
gives to his daughters Margaret and Ann 200 marks each ; desires his 
loving cousins and friends, Thomas Hesketh of Preston and Humphrey 
Davenport of Gray's Inn, gentlemen, to be supervisors of the Will, and 
gives them ^10 each; bequests to servants and others, &c. By the 
Inq. post mort,, taken March 3rd, 39th Eliz., the estates of Sir John 
Southworth were found to comprise : the manor of Southworth, with 
3380 acres of land and i oos. rents ; Samlesbury manor, with 20 mes- 
suages, one water-mill, 1000 acres of arable land, 200 of meadow,. 40 of 
pasture, 60 of wood, 40 of -moor, 100 of moss, and 40 of gorse and heath 
in Samlesbury ; in Mellor, 30 messuages with gardens, 940 acres of land, 
and 5 os. rents ; estates in Croft, Newton, Arbury, Houghton in Maker- 
field, Fernehead ; 3 messuages and 94 acres of land in Pleasington ; a 
messuage and 120 acres in Livesey; estates in Ribchester, Oswald- 
twistle, Brockhall, and other places ; and further, in Samlesbury, the 
fourth part of 50 acres common of pasture, and two parcels of land 
called Milnefield. The total extent of the lands was about 7600 cus- 
tomary acres, equal to about 14,000 statute acres. 

Of the younger sons of Sir John Southworth, two are noteworthy: 
Christopher Southworth, a priest of the Roman Church, and, like his 
father, subjected to severe penalties for " recusancy ;" he was in prison in 
Wisbeach Castle on this account at the time of his father's death ; and 
he was implicated in the cases of alleged witchcraft in Samlesbury, tried 
at Lancaster Assizes in 1612 (see ante, pp. 88-95); tne other was Gilbert 
Southworth, a lawyer of some standing, who was living in 1607. 

Thomas Southworth, Esq., son and heir of Sir John, married Rosa- 
mond, 1 daughter of William Lister, Esq., of Thornton in Craven; and 
had issue, sons, John; Thomas; William; Richard; Michael ; Nicholas; 
Christopher ; and Edward ; daughters, Bridget, wife of - - Duddell of 
Salwick; Margery, wife of Thomas Osbaldeston, gent; Ellen, wife of 
William Dewhurst, gent; and Anne. He sold his estates in Southworth, 
Pleasington, &c., and died in 1617 ; seized, by the escheat (isth Jas. I.), 



i By deed dated Feb. 24th, 1607, between Thomas Southworth of Samlesbury, Esq., and 
Rosamond his wife (born Rosamond Lister), of the first part ; Thos. Ireland of Bewsey, Esq., and 
Margaret his wife and John Harrington, gent., son and heir apparent of Percevall Harrington Esq. 
and Margaret his wife of the second part ; Lawrence Lister of Thornton in Craven, Esq., Michael 
Lister of Brockden in Craven, Esq., and Martin Lister of London of the third part; and John 
Aston, Esq., son and heir apparent of Thos. Aston of Aston, Co. Chester, Knt., and Robert Singleton 
of Brockall, gent., of the fourth part; it is witnessed that Thomas and Rosamond Southworth, 
Thos. and Margaret Ireland, and John and Margaret Harrington grant unto Lawrence, Michael, and 
Martin Lister one annuity of 100 issuing out of the Manor-house of Thomas Southworth lately 
erected in Sothworth, called Sothworth Hall, and the lands belonging thereto, &c., to hold during 
the lives of Thomas Southworth and Rosamond his wife, and the life of the longest liver of them ; 
to be paid half-yearly in the Church porch of Wynwick, on the 3151 July and 20th Dec , &c. 



662 HISTORY OF BLACKBURN. 

of Samlesbury manor, with messuages, lands, &c. He was the first 
Protestant of the family. 

John Southworth, eldest son, had died before his father in 1612. 
His wife was Jane, natural daughter of Sir Richard Sherburne, Knt., by 
whom he had sons, Thomas ; John ; Richard, Gilbert, and Christopher, 
all three died unmarried ; and daughters, Elizabeth, Mary, Ann, and 
Rosamond. 

Thomas Southworth, son of John, was heir to his grandsire in 1617, 
being then a minor. He sold the Lower Hall of Samlesbury and lands 
therewith to Sir Thomas Walmesley (the son). His wife was Anne, 
daughter of Sir Thomas Tyldesley, Knt., and he had two sons, John ; 
and Thomas ; and daughters, Elizabeth (wife, first, of Richard Walmesley 
of Showley, Esq., secondly, of John Nowell, gent., thirdly, of George 
Talbot of New Hall, gent); and Jane, wife, first, of Timothy Sumner, 
secondly, of John Jackson. He died Feb. 271)1, 1623-4, aged about 24 
years, seized of a moiety of Samlesbury manor, with 16 messuages and 
200 acres of land. His wife Ann survived him ; and his son John was 
found his heir. 

John Southworth died unmarried, Jan. i2th, 1635-6 ; and his 
brother Thomas became heir, who also died without issue, April ist, 
1641 ; and on Inquisition it was found that the next heirs of Thomas 
Southworth were his two sisters, Elizabeth Walmesley, aged 21, and Jane 
Sumner, aged 19. But Sir John Southworth having, in 1595, made a 
strict entail of Samlesbury manor, litigation now ensued between these 
heiresses and their uncle, John Southworth, younger son of John who 
died in 1612, claiming as heir in taile. The issue appears to have been 
that John Southworth was left in possession of Samlesbury Hall and 
manor ; and the daughters of Thomas Southworth retained the estates 
in Mellor. 

John Southworth last-named married Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas 
Langton of Lowe, Esq., and had sons, John, Thomas, Edward, Richard, 
Christopher, and William ; and daughters, Jane, Elizabeth, Anne, Isabel, 
Rosamond, Helen, Bridget, and Mary. By a series of mortgages, John 
Southworth surrendered his custody of remaining portions of the family 
estate. He died in 1675. His two eldest sons, John, and Thomas, had 
died before without issue, and Edward, the third son, was heir to an 
estate encumbered beyond retrieval. 

Edward Southworth, by an indenture of deseazance dated the i4th 
July, 1676, in consideration of 200, granted to Richard Walmesley, 
his heirs, &c., all his estate and interest in the manor of Samlesbury, 
with a proviso for redemption on payment of the several sums of ^36, 

, and ^636 at the Hall of Dunkenhalgh ; but the surrender became 



BRADDYLL, COOPER, HARRISON, LORDS OF SAMLESBURY. 663 

final shortly afterwards, when, by indenture dated icth March, 1679, to 
which Richard Walmesley was a consenting party in consideration that 
a sum of ^"6000 was well and sufficiently secured to him, by the direc- 
tion, &c., of Edward South worth, was sold unto Thomas Braddyll, his 
heirs and assigns for ever, the manor of Samlesbury, with the rights, 
members, &c. The indenture of conveyance, between Edward South- 
worth of Samlesbury, of the one part, and Thomas Braddyll of Portfield, 
of the other part, sets forth that Edward Southworth, in consideration of 
^3150 paid by Thomas Braddyll, grants to the said Thomas Braddyll 
all the manor or lordship of Samlesbury, with the manor-house of Sam- 
lesbury Hall, the demesne lands thereto belonging, and the water Corn 
Mill and the Kiln in Samlesbury. 

The descent of the Southworths since the alienation of the last of the estates has 
been traced by Mr. Croston. Edward Southworth had two sons, of whom John, the 
eldest, had no issue. Thomas, the second son, born in 1690, had a son Thomas, born 
in 1724, who left Samlesbury and settled in London, as a bookseller in Bethnal Green. 
He married Ann Debonair, and had sons, Thomas, died young ; John ; a second 
Thomas, died in 1815 ; James (died abroad) ; and Samuel ; and a daughter Ann. 
Thomas Southworth, the father, died in 1788. John Southworth, eldest surviving son, 
born in I75S> married Anne Denby, and had six sons and four daughters. John and 
Peter, the first two sons, died young ; the third, Edward Lazarus Southworth, married 
Rebecca Stephenson, had a son John, and a daughter, and died in 1815. John South- 
worth, the son, was born in 1813, and was living at Bethnal Green, Londpn, in 1870. 
He married, in 1836, Mary Ferry, and had five sons, and as many daughters. John 
Edward Southworth, eldest son, born in 1839, married, in 1862, Martha Gibbons, and 
has issue. 

BRADDYLL, LORDS OF SAMLESBURY. 

The genealogy of the Braddylls, of Portfield and Conishead Priory, 
has been inserted in a former chapter (see ante, pp. 438-441). They held 
the moiety of Samlesbury Manor from the date of its purchase, in 1679, 
by Thomas Braddyll, Esq., until the middle of the present century. In 
1691, Wilson Gale Braddyll, Esq., mortgaged to Richard Greaves Town- 
ley, for ^10,300, "all the manor or lordship of Samlesbury, and the 
capital messuage, mansion, or manor-house, called Samlesbury Hall," 
&c. Under an order of the Court of Chancery the hall and manor of 
Samlesbury were sold in Nov., 1850, to John Cooper, Esq., of the Oaks, 
Penwortham. Mr. Cooper conveyed the estate, Nov. i3th, 1862, to 
Joseph Harrison, Esq., J.P., D.L., of Galligreaves Hall, Blackburn. Mr. 
Harrison is present joint lord of the manor of Samlesbury. 

The Manor-house of Samlesbury, known as Samlesbury Hall, is one 
of the most complete and interesting examples of early domestic archi- 
tecture remaining in the North of England. From 1862 to 1866 the 
Hall was admirably restored under the direction of Joseph Harrison, 



664 HISTORY OF BLACKBURN. 

Esq., who, in the internal decorative work, had the services of the late 
Mr. Shaw, F.S.A., author of Decorative Arts of the Middle Ages. As re- 
stored, the Hall is interiorly a model of antique grandeur and enrich- 
ment, and on the exterior presents the picturesque aspect exhibited in 
the view inserted in this work. The picture presents the north-east 
front of the Hall, with the oldest wing on the right ; and reveals the 
various styles of the timber framework of the two blocks. The distinc- 
tive features of the more ancient structure are, the upright oaken timbers, 
connected by horizontal beams and fortified by diagonal bracing ribs, 
the interstices filled up with a composition of lime and clay, laid upon 
laths ; the mullioned and transomed windows ; the high-pitched roof ; 
the many-angled oriel near the point of conjunction with the major 
building ; and the gabled and casemented dormer-chamber proj ected 
over the oriel. The larger and later structure displays on this front 
walls of oak timbers fixed vertically and horizontally, the square inter- 
spaces being decorated by pierced quatrefoils picked out in white to 
contrast with the dark hue of the timber-work ; the entrance-porch near 
the midst of the block ; the large old-fashioned windows, divided with 
mullion and transome, on the lower storey ; the corbelled projecting 
windows in the upper storey ; and the roof with its boldly-projecting 
eaves and octagonal chimneys. The other front of this principal wing 
differs in detail from that which is seen in the drawing. The wall on 
that side has been faced with moulded brick with stone dressings. 
Three massive chimneys project from this wall ; and upon the face of 
the chimney to the left hand is a stone shield, enclosing the arms of 
Southworth, quartered with those of D'Evyas. The bricks are of the 
small thin kind, and are supposed to be of foreign manufacture (perhaps 
Flemish, and made by Flemings who sought refuge in England in the 
1 6th century from the oppression of D'Alva). The surface of the 
wall is diversified by diamond-patterns and other ornamental designs in 
dark brick. The windows are square-headed, with mullions and cinque- 
foil heads ; the largest, near the east end on the ground floor, is a hand- 
some four-light window, with tracery heads, cinquefoiled and sub-arcuated, 
and is believed to have been brought from Our Lady's Chapel in Whalley 
Abbey. The length of this front is 105 feet. The main doorway of 
the Hall was formerly on this front, near the centre ; it remains, but 
in the restoration the principal porch has been placed on the other 
front. Turning to the interior, the Great Hall appropriates nearly 
the whole area of the original north wing. It is a noble apartment, 
35 feet long, and 25 feet six inches wide ; its height, from the floor to 
the spring of the roof, is 14 feet six inches, and to the ridge 29 feet 
seven inches. The hall was originally some feet longer than it is 



THE HALL OF SAMLESBURY. 665 

now, having at some date been reduced by about half a bay ; and at the 
time of this curtailment, the dais or raised floor, for the chief guests at 
great feasts, at the north end of the Hall, was removed. The features of 
the Great Banqueting Hall which at once arrest the eye of the beholder, 
are the massive open-timber roof, and the elaborately-carved screen of 
dark old oak, at the south end of the hall, supporting the front of the 
minstrels' gallery. The roof has been described as " an excellent speci- 
men of fourteenth century work/' it is " acutely pointed and open to the 
ridge-piece, the frame-work being divided into bays, and so arranged as 
to form a series of Gothic arches." The erection of this wing is attri- 
buted to the reign of Edward III. (1327-77), and it is believed to be a 
portion of the re-edification of the Hall shortly after the destruction by 
fire of an older manor-house of Samlesbury during a raid of marauding 
Scots into Lancashire in 1323. But the carved oak screen at the south 
end belongs to a later addition to the Hall ; as also does the archway 
of the open fire-place, which superseded the brazier supporting the burn- 
ing logs in the midst of the hall. The woodwork of the screen, and of 
the massive square pillars of oak which separate its compartments and 
support the cornice in front of the minstrels' gallery, is covered with 
cunning carvings of arcades, grotesque figures, cornucopias, and other 
emblematic devices. Two doors open in the screen, and in the centre 
is cut in three panels the inscription : 



umtm 



team-til 



/f.lmtxr ifata 1 

* 



mitra* 



The Southworth crest accompanies. Over the screen is the Minstrels' 
Gallery ; and at the rear of the gallery is a room designed for a "solar" or 
lord's chamber. At the south end the east wall of the Great Hall is em- 
bayed by the oriel recess. The form of the oriel is that of seven sides of 
a duodecagon ; and its window consists of five lights transomed. Above 
the oriel, forming an upper storey on a level with the floor of the Minstrels' 
Gallery, is a small chamber, lighted by a recessed window, supposed to 
have been used for an oratory. Besides the oriel window the Great Hall 
is lighted by two large windows, each of four lights, with deeply-moulded 
jambs, mullions, and tiansomes, which occupy the eastern wall. The fire- 
place is formed by a depressed arch, the jambs of which are splayed 
at the angles, and which measures 1 5 feet two inches in width, by six feet 
nine inches in height. The principal entrance to the Hall placed in the 
centre of the larger block, is by a gothic porch (which is modern). The 

i The characters " S. P. Bono Statu," in the middle panel, maybe taken to stand for "Supplicate 
pro bono statu," meaning "Pray for the good estate," &c., a variation of the more common wording 
of the invocatioa " Orate pro bono statu," &c., of ancient memorial inscriptions. 



666 HISTORY OF BLACKBURN. 

entrance-hall is spacious (23 ft. by 19 ft. 6 in.), and from the hall a hand- 
some oaken staircase (part of the late restoration) leads to the upper floor. 
A corridor extending the whole length of the building conducts to the 
several apartments on the ground-floor. On the right are the dining-room, 
butler's pantry, kitchens and offices ; on the left are the library, and the 
morning-room. The morning-room, at the north-east end of the house, 
is the ancient Chapel of the Hall. Its ceiling is new, for the height of 
the chapel was formerly equal to the altitude of the building itself. The 
apartment is lit by windows on three sides, that on the south side is the 
window from Whalley Abbey ; and in the wall near it is inserted the 
piscina, betokening the ancient religious purpose of the room. The 
next apartment is the library, a room originally divided from the chapel 
by a parclose-screen, but now by a wall-partition. The ceiling is the old 
one of massive and deeply-moulded oaken beams, longitudinal and 
transverse, forming square compartments. This room now contains the 
noble library collected by William Harrison, Esq., F.S.A., who makes the 
Hall his residence. The largest apartment in this wing is the dining- 
room, which has a fine panelled oaken ceiling, a richly-carved cornice, 
and other tokens of age and dignity ; but the most striking of its decora- 
tions is the group of painted heraldic devices over the arched stone 
fire-place. The shields of arms were cut in stone, and surrounded 
with a series of circular panels displaying geometrical figures, at the date 
of the erection of the building ; but falling into indifferent hands, they 
had become almost invisible by coatings of whitewash or dirt. Mr. 
Harrison had the designs carefully cleared, and the tinctures of the 
arms replaced under the direction of Mr. Shaw, F.S.A. These shields 
and the geometric patterns in panel constitute a rich and most appro- 
priate mural embellishment. The arms in the centre shield are those 
of the Southworths impaling Hoghton, with the Southworth crest above, 
flanked by the arms of Hoghton of Hoghton Tower quartered with 
Assheton, with the Hoghton crest and initials " R H, KNT. ;" and the 
arms of Langton of Walton Hall, with the crest and initials " T L, KNT." 
Above these emblems is an interesting inscription, fixing, as it does, .the 
date of the rebuilding of this wing of Samlesbury Hall in or before the 
year 1545, temp. Henry VIII. The inscribed words are : 



. n 

The dimensions of this room are twenty-seven feet by fifteen feet. 
It is lighted by two large square-headed windows, with stone mullions 
and traceried heads. The butler's pantry adjoining, and the kitchens 
beyond, are recent extensions of the original plan. In the range of 
chambers on the upper floor the open-timber roof has been preserved. 



DE HOLAND, LORDS OF SAMLESBURY. 667 

The spandrils of the curved bracing-ribs are finished with carved foliage. 
A cornice of handsome design surrounds the rooms. The partitions are 
new. On the south-west front these upper rooms have windows of three 
lights, square-headed and traceried. On the north-east side, the win- 
dows lighting the upper corridor are recessed, and supported by oaken 
corbels, the external surfaces of which are carved with human faces and 
other devices. Mr. Harrison has furnished the hall in a style which, 
while in strict keeping with its antique grandeur, greatly enriches the 
aspect of its interior. 

At the time of its erection, Samlesbury Hall was semi-fortified, and 
was surrounded by a moat, remains of which are still existing. Recently, 
when making a deep drain near the conservatory, the workmen broke 
into the underground dungeon of the hall, a dark walled cavity, 1 5ft. by 
1 5ft., and i2ft. in height. The bones of several human bodies also 
have been dug up in the grounds. 

DE HOLAND, LORDS OF SAMLESBURY. 

Sir Robert de Holand (knighted before 1281, son and heir of 
Thurstan and grandson of Robert de Holand, lord of Up-Holand, Co. 
Lancaster), by his wife, Elizabeth, daughter and co-heir of Sir William de 
Samlesbury, had sons, Robert, William, and Adam ; and daughters, Joan, 
wife, first, of Sir Edmund Talbot of Bashall ; secondly, of Sir Hugh de 
Button ; and thirdly, of Sir John Radcliffe of Ordsall ; Margery, wife of 
John, eldest son of Sir John de la Warre, baron of Manchester ; and 
Avena, wife of Adam, son of Sir John Ireland, Knt., lord of Hutt. 

Sir Robert de Holand, Knt., son of Sir Robert, a noted warrior of 
his time, married Maud, youngest daughter and a co-heir of Alan, Lord 
de la Zouch, and had sons, Robert ; Sir Thomas de Holand, K.G. (who 
married Joan, daughter and heiress of John Plantagenet, Earl of Kent, 
and obtained, in right of his wife, the title of Earl of Kent) ; Sir Otho de 
Holand, K.G.; and Alan de Holand of Wirksworth. Between the years 
1301-3, Sir Robert de Holand was engaged in the war in Scotland. In 
1311, he was made Governor of Beeston Castle, Co. Chester, and in 
1314-15 was again marching northward against the Scots at the head of 
the Lancashire levies. He was summoned to Parliament as a baron in 
1314. In 1322, he joined with his forces the rebellion of Thomas, Earl of 
Lancaster, after whose defeat Sir Robert de Holand surrendered to the 
King, when all his estates, including the moiety of the manor of Samles- 
bury, were confiscated. In 1328, Edward III. ordered the restoration of 
these forfeited possessions to Sir Robert de Holand. Sir Robert de 
Holand died in 1328, and his son and heir was found to be then aged 
1 6 years. 



668 HISTORY OF BLACKBURN. 

Sir Robert de Holand, next heir of the Samlesbury estate, was sum- 
moned to Parliament, as second baron, 25th Feb., 1342, and died in 
1372. By Elizabeth his wife he had issue, sons, Robert ; and John, who 
died without issue. Sir Robert de Holand held at his death, in 
1372, the manors of Holland, Hale, and Orrell ; the manor of Samles- 
bury, held of the lord Duke of Lancaster by homage and fidelity and by 
the service of 6s., the said manor being worth yearly ^30 123. i id.; and 
numerous other estates in the county, among them the fourth part of the 
manor of Over Derwent in this parish, held of Ralph de Langton, by 
homage and fidelity, worth yearly 6s. 8d. 

Robert de Holand, son of Sir Robert, died before his father in 
Z 359- By Joan his wife he had a daughter and heiress, Matilda (or 
Maud), who became wife of Sir John de Lovel, K.G., and by the union 
the estates of the Holands of this branch, including this half of Samles- 
bury manor, passed to the Lords Lovel. By inquisition dated April 4th, 
47th Edw. III. (1373), it was proved that Sir Robert de Holand, the 
father, had died March i6th, 1372, and that Matilda, daughter of Robert, 
son of Sir Robert de Holand, deceased, whom Sir John Lovel had to 
wife, was next heir to the said Sir Robert, and was of the age of seventeen 
years and upwards. 1 

LOVEL, LORDS OF SAMLESBURY. 

Sir John Lovel, K.G. (second son of John Baron Lovel of Tich- 
mersh, and heir to his elder brother John), by Maud [Matilda] Holand 
his wife, had a son and heir John. Sir John was summoned to Parlia- 
ment in 1375. Matilda Lovel, Sir John's widow, died in 1423, seized 
of the manors of Upholland and Halewood, and the moiety of the 
manor of Samlesbury, with other estates in Lancashire and Derbyshire. 

John, Lord Lovel, died in 1414. He married Alianore de laZouch, 
and had a son William, who had livery of the lands of his father's 
mother, Matilda, late widow of Sir John Lovel, Knt, by precept dated 
June 1 4th, ist Henry VI., being then aged 26 years. 

William, Lord Lovel, died in 1455. By his wife Alice, widow of 
Ralph Butler of Sudley, and sister and co-heir of William, Lord Dein- 
court, he had issue, sons, John ; William, married Alianore, heiress of 
Robert, Lord Morley ; Robert ; and Henry. 

John, Lord Lovel, son and heir, died in 1465. His wife was Joan, 
daughter of John, and sister and heir of William Viscount Beaumont, 
and he had a son Francis ; and daughters, Joan, wife of Sir Bryan Sta- 
pleton, Knt.; and Frideswide, wife of Sir Edward Norris, Knt. 

i Note by Mr. W. A. Hulton, in Coucher Book of Whalley (p. 979); and Mr. William Langton's 
edition of Lane. Inquisitions (Cheth. Socy., v. xcix). 



LORDS OF THE SECOND MOIETY OF SAMLESBURY MANOR. 669 

Francis, Lord Lovel, created Viscount Lovel 4th Jan., 1483, mar- 
ried Ann, daughter of Henry, Lord Fitzhugh, and died without issue. 
He was supposed to have been slain at the battle of Stoke, June i6th, 
1487, fighting against the King (Henry VII). This peer had been at- 
tainted after the Battle of Bosworth Field in 1485, as a partizan of 
Richard III., and of his sequestrated estates the moiety of Samlesbury 
manor was granted by Henry VII., in 1489, to Thomas, first Earl of Derby. 

EARLS OF DERBY AS LORDS OF SAMLESBURY. 
The moiety of Samlesbury Manor granted to Thomas Stanley, first 
Earl of Derby, by the Crown, on its forfeiture by Lord Lovel's attainder, 
was found in possession of Thomas second Earl of Derby at the date of 
his death ; and in the escheat, dated 1521, Samlesbury Manor is named 
among the late Earl's numerous estates. Edward, third Earl of Derby, 
held his manor-court at Samlesbury, in conjunction with Sir John South- 
worth, June soth, 1557; and in 1575 is dated a record of verdicts in 
the court of Henry fourth Earl of Derby and Sir John Southworth for 
this manor. At this court it was agreed " that the headge from the 
fowte of bosburnbroke unto the heade of beswalle shalbe the meires 
[bounds] betwene the Erie of Derbye and Sr John Sowthworth, Knight." 
This moiety of Samlesbury was sold by William, sixth Earl of Derby, to 
Sir Thomas Walmesley the Judge ; who appears as lord in the 6th Jas. 
I. (1608). This estate is not named in Justice Walmesley's settlement of 
his estates in 1606, so that it was probably acquired by him between  
1606 and 1608. st was beheaded there by a soldier of Henry V111.  The Priest is reputed to be the Brother of the Martyr Edward Campion who was also a visitor to the Hall.

 In 1581, Sir John Southworth, 
Knt, had been arrested and committed to prison in the New Fleet at 
Manchester, one of the charges against him being that of har- 
bouring at Samlesbury Hall the Jesuit Edmund Campion

http://www.archive.org/stream/historyofblackbu00abrauoft/historyofblackbu00abrauoft_djvu.txt


Make a Free Website with Yola.